Spotlight

Click to view my Spotlight CV

Linkedin

Thursday 1 October 2015

Moving Eye productions - No Man's Land

Recently I was cast in Moving Eye Productions' film 'No Man's Land' as the character Tommy.

Let's take a glimpse into the entire process from the initial stages through to filming and submitting to competitions.


First the entire resume for Simon, the man behind the masterpiece:


Simon Hare

4 Perth Mount
Horsforth
Leeds
LS18 5SH


Started producing films in 1975 after my father had allowed me to use his 8mm Super 8 camera and splicer.

At the age of 9 years old I entered the BBC Clapperboard “Young Film Makers Competition” which was a weekly show that showcased children’s film projects.

I entered a film called “The boy from outer space” a 5-minutes sci-fi thriller. Although I did not win, the film was shown and I was hooked and have been ever since.

I started to produce minority sport features in the late 80's that allowed me to continue to work in the industry and develop my skills further.

2007 I was commissioned by Red Lobster productions (Howard Foster) to produce a documentary “Crime Island” which looked at the release of “John Gold Finger Palmer” from the Tenerife Prison.

2007 – 2008 While working at True North I was involved in “Getting away with Murder” and the “Way we used to Worship” (Edit and Camera)

2008 I was employed as second Camera and Dolly operator on the ITV soap “Emmerdale”.

In 2012 I made a significant investment into digital 35mm equivalent film camera and editing equipment.  Having the correct tools available to me I was able to compete with the larger film companies.

My first film with this equipment was Trojan, originally created for the London 48 Sci-Fi competition, but during the edit we realised that it had potential to be submitted into wider market place.

We submitted into the Arizona underground and Aesthetica and in both cases had a showing but did not get placed.

2013 We entered Sweet 16 into the “Short Cuts to Hell” competition; this time the film got placed and was selected as part of the best horror film shorts of 2013 and was included into the box set and sold through I-tunes. Both films were recognised in the IMDB.


2013 we were commissioned by Victoria Lucas “Photographer and Film Maker” to create an art piece of the closing of the Sheffield Castle Market.

The film was a huge success and was shown in art galleries around the world.  In her recent book
we had acknowledgement of the work that we produced to make this film the success it was.

2014 we were commissioned to produce a film in conjunction with Indiana State University and the Earth Pyramid, portraying ancient methodologies of moving large stones great distances.

The film is being used to encourage interest in Egyptology.

2014 I was commissioned to make 3 films for Saint-Gobain, a departmental spoof film showing supplier relationships “South American Connection.

(This won the video of the year for the organisation).

Project More – This film mixed live footage with animation and its aim was employee retention.

The final film was to make a spoof Sci-Fi that engaged their suppliers and to leave a clear message with their intended audience. “Second Chance” was a huge success for Saint-Gobain and went on to win their internal Oscar.

I personally received best Director.

Although this was a co-operate style film – I used all my film making skills to achieve the desired look.

Qualifications:

I have studied film making all my life, and succeeded in completing the Master Film Making course organised by the IOV in 2007.

Summary:

I love the film industry; I am a naturally creative and innovative, pushing the capabilities of my equipment, my cast and crew.

I have unique skill set, and in order to support my family I work as a Supplier Development Manager for Saint-Gobain and have a very structured approach to my work.

I also control large budgets; these skills are transferable to film.

For every project I create a plan which includes resource management, locations, equipment, script, storyboard, rehearsals and finally shoot all within the agreed budget and time frame.

Objectives:

To produce a film that creates an emotion within the viewer, that for a period of time they contemplate what they have just experienced.

Films: Competition             Position
1975 Boy from outer Space Clapperboard Camera and Director
2007 Missing               Director /Editor/Writer
2011 Trojan Aesthitica                Director /Editor/Writer
Arizona Underground
2011 Volver                         Writer/Camera /Director/Editor
2013 Sweet 16 Short Cuts to Hell    Writer/Camera /Director/Editor
Documentaries
Crime Island First Camera
David Traynor Story First Camera and Editor
Getting away with Murder Second Editor
The way we used to Worship Second camera Second Edit
My Yorkshire Editor
Earth Pyramid Director / Camera / Edit
Castle Market Camera and Edit
Corporate
What if we do not innovate Director/Writer/ Edit/Director
South American Connection Director/Writer/ Edit/Director
Second Chance Director/Writer/ Edit/Director
Project More         Director/Writer/ Edit/Director
Music
Overloaded (Nanak Chauhan 2 track medley)                     Director/Writer/ Edit/Director
I wish I knew how (Bethany Hare)                       Director/Writer/ Edit/Director
The Closest Time (Sam Crane)              Director/Writer/ Edit/Director
All is Glorious       (Sam Crane)               Director/Writer/ Edit/Director


There I am back right of the photo with all my hair.
I have worked with Moving Eye Productions in the past on the short Sweet 16 for the “Short Cuts to Hell”  film competition.

The atmosphere on set is fantastic and these guys are so good to work with whilst remaining completely professional and focused on the task at hand.

Now let's talk about 'No Man's Land'

I was invited to audition and jumped at the chance to collaborate on another film and so we all got together to go through the script.

Once the casting process was over I was given the part of Tommy, a good man with an honest heart.

Next the rehearsals got underway where we went through lines and worked out the dynamics of the group of soldiers.

Also while we were rehearsing we each had a lesson in history as Simon had done strenuous research into every element of the film.

Then came a dress rehearsal/costume fitting where we were given our uniforms that we were to wear on the shoot.

Simon had gone to all lengths to secure authentic weapons - uniforms, an authentic horse saddle and a horse that would have been the same as the ones they would have used at the time!!

Everything on the production had been well thought out and executed with precision - we were all shown the storyboard which was a valuable tool for the filming as this mapped out the film and made sure everything was covered and accurate.

Next came the preparation of the trench.

This was a mammoth task on its own as Simon tried to secure a location/funding, then a stroke of luck - a friend of Simon's offered to let him shoot the film on his land as he was digging for irrigation purposes.


So the construction began - there were a few issues as the digger broke down but this was soon rectified and the trench was beginning to appear.

The trench was dug and had been dressed with barbed wire, sand bags and much more.

Next the filming began and things went smoothly over the course of the shoot and the food we were given was second to none.

As filming came to a close we were all excited to get things moving and see the finished product.

Then came the editing.  Simon & Michael Suttill spent countless hours adding effects and editing the film to a superb standard.

A fantastic story with an awesome cast
I really loved working on this project the cast were great and so were the crew.

We were then all invited to the premier of the film which was held in a small theatre in Leeds.

We couldn't believe how amazing the final film looked - it was stunning!  What a fantastic job - I was really proud.


The next stage was to enter the film into competition - we have submitted it to the following festivals:
Smythe 

Imperial War Museum - LondonLexus - Los Angeles Santa Barbara Int - Los AngelesLeeds Int - Leeds

The film also has an IMDB credit click HERE to take a look.

If you want to know more about 'Moving Eye Productions' Please visit their website by clicking: HERE

What an amazing effort by everyone involved - please like - share & enjoy this post and keep checking back for more.



No comments:

Post a Comment