Spotlight

Click to view my Spotlight CV

Linkedin

Monday 28 September 2015

Michael John Suttill - photography - film - time lapse expert and pure art

I have known Michael (and worked with on past projects) for a while now and really love the work he does and thought it would be a great idea to share some insight on his work.

Having an insight into the ones that create magic:

Please read on

Directors Statement
A time-lapse film shot in the Selby district and the places I grew up in. 

Nobody wants to see that, nobody cares. To make a film like that, that people want to see you have to go to Utah or California, the deserts of Morocco, Iceland or Norway…. 

That’s what I thought three years ago when I first tried my hand at time-lapse and landscape photography. 

So I did it anyway and I would make it for myself, not for anyone else. After completing the edit and sharing it with friends I realised I’d not just made something for me, and that’s where the collaboration began. 

I sent the video to Oliver Mason, Paul Fawcett and Josh Mason. Oliver and Paul (soundcloud.com/limpitmusic) composed the soundtrack while Josh was inspired to write some incredible spoken word poetry. 

A few weeks later the elements were fused together and Stephanie Oglesby created the graphics. 

The film has been a labour of love, done in spare time from my full time job as an electrician. Each frame in the film is the result of three separate exposures blended together. 

That’s 750 pictures for every ten seconds of footage, this equates to around 10 hours of render time in post per ten seconds.

Click Horizon to see Michaels epic time-lapse
The soundtrack can be downloaded free SIMPLY CLICK: Sound Track


Michael John Suttill Resume
I first began my journey in filmmaking at the age of 14 when I would sneak my parents DV camera out of the house to film trials biking videos with my friends. 

I’d always had obsession with photography for as long as I could remember. (although I didn’t have a camera myself I didn’t let that stop me at every occasion I would find the person who did and offer to be the photographer!) It wasn’t until I began editing the DV footage that my passion for filmmaking started to emerge and grow. 

I graduated from Trials biking and skating videos to creating music videos as my friends slowly left skating and trials biking behind. It was then I upgraded my camera and taught myself how to use professional camera features. 
My first film directing was Trojan along with Simon Hare in 2012, originally created for the London 48hr Sci-Fi competition, but during the edit we realised that it had potential to be submitted into wider market place. 

We submitted into the Arizona underground and Aesthetica film festivals and in both cases we were accepted granting us an IMDB page for the film.


 
Spurred on by the fact a film we created for a 48hr film festival got a look in a two major film festivals where the restrictions of the 48hr competition format were not taken into account I made a large investment in a 35mm SLR camera as well as a S35mm digital cinema camera. 

Around the same time I began making time-lapse films in my spare time, at first just as a hobby, a way of relaxing between film
 projects or occupying myself while sun bathing on holiday. This would quickly become another obsession which would later become much more prevalent in my work and start to include motion control systems. 

In 2013 we entered Sweet16 in to the 3 minute horror short competition “Short Cuts to Hell’. The film was placed with the top entries. Gaining the film a release as part of the ‘Short Cuts to Hell’ box set through ITunes and Blinkbox. 


The next film came in the form of a commission from visual artist Victoria Lucas. Victoria wanted to create an art film showing Sheffield’s castle market before it was destroyed but after the market holders had left it. Miss Lucas got in touch after hearing about the motion control time-lapse I was experimenting with at the time. She wished to convey a sense of continuously moving through the market from the outside balcony spaces to the market stalls below. The film was a huge success and was screened in venues such as the Showroom Cinema Sheffield, Casa Maauad in Mexico City, and Vapaan Taiteen Tila in Helsinki, Finland



 

During 2014 I undertook varies projects to gain funding to create more of my own films and to invest in more equipment these mainly consisted of weddings and event filming which also helped to hone my skills. 

In Summary 




I have been encapsulated by creative images for as long as I can remember whether it was drawn, painted or captured on a borrowed camera whether it’s a still or a moving image.

What really captured me was the story those images showed and how that could be portrayed to the audience, either in a tradition 3 act story or in a more abstract way through the editing of images and score to evoke deep emotion and curiosity about the world we live in and the people we share it with. 


Hope you enjoyed a glimpse into Michaels world and how he creates arts that is truly inspirational.

PLEASE LIKE SHARE AND ENJOY THIS ARTICLE - ALSO JOIN MICHAEL ON FACEBOOK BY CLICKING: Michael John Suttill

No comments:

Post a Comment